Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
May 21, 2019 – Ottawa, Ontario
Every day Canadian teachers empower young people to shape our future. They nurture a culture of curiosity in Canada and help create an environment where young people are encouraged to reflect, to challenge, and to dream their biggest dreams.
Today, the Prime Minister awarded sixty-nine of Canada’s most inspiring and innovative educators with the country’s highest honours for Teaching Excellence, Teaching Excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and Excellence in Early Childhood Education. These exceptional women and men inspire their students and have equipped them with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed.
This is the 25th year of the Prime Minister’s Awards, which recognizes the Canadians who work so hard to give our next generation the best possible start in life. Each award winner has demonstrated a unique approach to education that motivates both young Canadians and fellow teachers to reach their full potential.
National recipients will be celebrated at an awards ceremony with the Prime Minister on May 28, 2019. This event will be live streamed at 4:15 p.m. (ET) on the Canadian Innovation Facebook page.
“Congratulations to Canada’s exceptional educators who challenge students to reach higher, work harder and think bigger, while instilling in them a lifelong passion for learning. Today more than ever, students benefit from digital skills, critical thinking and creative problem-solving abilities. Thanks to our teachers, young Canadians are set up to succeed in the jobs of tomorrow.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
“Congratulations to these extraordinary teachers who inspire young Canadians each and every day to dream their greatest dreams. They are providing the next generation with the skills they need to achieve them.”
– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science and Sport
- Since the first awards ceremony in 1994, the Prime Minister’s Awards program has honoured more than 1,900 outstanding Canadian educators.
- Award recipients are determined based on a rigorous two-tier selection process undertaken by over 120 volunteers from the education community across Canada.
- 2019 award recipients were chosen from among 244 nominations across the country.
- Partners that support the program include the RBC Foundation, Canada Learning Code, Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC), Employment and Social Development Canada, Indigenous Services Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada.